[Icecast] Icecast Directory APIs?

Thomas Rücker thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Tue Jun 18 14:07:07 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan,

On 18 June 2013 11:14, Jonathan Meson <jona at visualblasters.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I realize this has been asked a couple times before in the past years but no
> one has really provided a definitive answer AFAIK.

There is an ongoing discussion on the developer mailing list.
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2013-June/002178.html
(informative post)
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2013-May/002173.html
(start of current thread)

https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1958 - tracker item for the JSON API

Please subscribe to the icecast-dev list to join the discussion.

> I would love to create an Icecast directory plugin for my app XiiaLive. I
> have been getting a lot of request and I want to find out how to. Here is an
> example of a plugin I have already created called Radio Reference. Of course
> the Icecast directory would be FREE.

Sure, we're happy about software using our directory.

> So here are some questions that hopefully helps me out go in the right
> direction.
>
> 1. Do I need to ask permission to use the directory and display the Icecast
> logos?

I don't think it's strictly required, but it's certainly appreciated.
See also my previous mailing list postings on things to keep in mind
if using the legacy XML interface.

> 2. Any APIs available?

- legacy yp.xml
- experimental JSON API in development

> 3. If no APIs available can I parse the data from http://dir.xiph.org/?

Please don't. Just help defining a sensible JSON API.

Cheers

Thomas