[Icecast] Icecast relay with backup - loops backup for too long

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Sun Jul 14 07:22:26 UTC 2013

On 07/13/2013 05:58 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2013, Nathan Roberts wrote:
>
>> The set up is working fine except that if someone connects just before the
>> broadcast starts, then it appears the fallback file (approx 2.5min) is
>> queued multiple times, and the delay I've seen can be between 8 and 30
>> minutes. If they connect just after then the they listen approx 30-45
>> seconds behind real time as intended.
> The reason for this is that Icecast will send a static MP3 file as quickly
> as it can, rather than at the correct bitrate.  Whether or not it should
> do something intelligent, possibly by having a configured bit rate, is
> something for debate I guess.

I think we do some minimal rate limiting, but it's nowhere near what
would be necessary.
Fallback to file is 'lazy' and discouraged for professional
installations anyway.

> The way to get what you want is to have something streaming your backup
> content.  Something like EZStream would do nicely.

Exactly. And if you just loop a couple of files without re-encoding
them, but send them as is, it doesn't take up any noticeable CPU cycles.

Cheers

Thomas