[Icecast] Icecast relay with backup - loops backup for too long

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Sat Jul 13 17:58:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013, Nathan Roberts wrote:

> The set up is working fine except that if someone connects just before the
> broadcast starts, then it appears the fallback file (approx 2.5min) is
> queued multiple times, and the delay I've seen can be between 8 and 30
> minutes. If they connect just after then the they listen approx 30-45
> seconds behind real time as intended.

The reason for this is that Icecast will send a static MP3 file as quickly
as it can, rather than at the correct bitrate.  Whether or not it should
do something intelligent, possibly by having a configured bit rate, is
something for debate I guess.

The way to get what you want is to have something streaming your backup
content.  Something like EZStream would do nicely.

Cheers,
Geoff.