[Icecast] Icecast relay as a source to another icecast?

telmnstr at 757.org telmnstr at 757.org
Wed Feb 27 06:42:33 UTC 2013

I have a situation where I'd like to be able to have icecast reach out to
another icecast server as a client. Is this possible with relaying? From
what I read relaying and master relaying both have the server reach out to
another server.

The reason is this.

I have a hardware encoder (Telos audioactive) sitting on a cablemodem.

I have a remote provider (streamcheap or something) set to relay the telos
unit.

It works, but eventually traffic on my cablemodem or other situations
cause the remote to disconnect. It never is able to reconnect again for
some reason.

I changed it where I have the telos unit talking to a local icecast
server. Then the remote server currently relays by connecting into my
local icecast server. This part works (as it did directly to the telos
unit) but drops off just like before. I don't have full control over the
remote end and I don't know why it isn't relaying. But with the local
icecast server I was able to validate that it's 100% stable and doesn't
disconnect / fail to reconnect to the audioactive unit.