[Icecast] Icecast 2.3.3 + Debian

Rücker Thomas thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Sun Jul 8 19:19:10 UTC 2012

On 08/07/12 21:40, Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Le 08/07/2012 19:50, Rücker Thomas a écrit :
>> It sees far less testing and review than mainline.
>> The other day we had someone for whom Icecast suddenly started crashing.
>> Turned out it was a kh build.
> I'll pipe in.
>
> The company I work for has 1000+ audio (and some video) streams, serving
> tens of thousands of listeners per stream, running on both icecast and
> icecast-kh and _both_ have _huge_ race conditions. We experience many
> crashes per day on the 50+ servers we have in production.
Why have you not filed bugs about it then? Outlining the gravity of the
problem?
Or at least brought it up on IRC.

> Last year, Laurent Defert, a colleague of mine had opened several trac
> tickets with patches to fix race conditions found using Hellgrind (a
> close relative of memcheck, the main Valgrind tool).
I suspect you mean
https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1810

The ticket does not suggest that those are in any way proven and grave
issues.
It merely suggests them as 'potential' issues.
As such it didn't make it into 2.3.3 and was deferred for 2.4.
If you have proof that those race conditions occur on your systems it
would have
been beneficial to know that earlier. We are of course interested in
Icecast being
as stable as possible.

> I can only encourage the Icecast community to look at those patches
> (though they were done for the "regular" icecast, the same exercise can
> and _should_ be done for icecast-kh).
As we are currently actively merging things to trunk, #1810 was on my
list anyway.

Thanks again for your work and feedback, it's highly appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas