[Icecast] Making a smooth transition between sources?

Tom Swirly tom at swirly.com
Wed Feb 1 18:05:13 UTC 2012

Oh, this seems very cool - but, it doesn't handle the actual streaming, am
I right, just mixes multiple relay streams together?

Or, does it actually stream from playlists on the server?  If so, I'd
switch in a moment!

(I think I'm seeing different documentations from different times here...)

I'm using eztream as my streamer for when my base computer isn't
operating... and I had to hack it to fix the fact it didn't properly handle
TagLib, and didn't report the "album" name.

There's also a UTF-8 encoding issue with ezstream which I have proven to my
own satisfaction by streaming the same single track from itunes/Nicecast on
my desktop, and then from ezstream... I get the correct UTF-8 titles when
using Nicecast, but wrong ones when using ezstream.

I'm supposedly an expert on character encodings :-D but I haven't figured
out exactly where the issue is in ezstream.

I also have my own Python code to do things like "auto-Twitter"

https://twitter.com/#!/swirlyRadioList

You can see my code to do it here:  https://github.com/rec/radio

I haven't prettied it up for release but I tend to write fairly readable
code.