[Icecast] Higher quality narrowband streaming options

Greg Ogonowski greg at indexcom.com
Wed Aug 1 21:01:23 UTC 2012

Hello Geoff-

You and I have not communicated in several years.
Orban was the original licensee of HE-AAC/aacPlus back in 2002 for
streaming, when I discovered it back then.
It was at my request, that Icecast2 finally allowed other content types to
be used for streaming AAC/HE-AAC.
Thank you for this!

HE-AAC is displacing MP3 with more streams on line everyday.
We have an HE-AAC centric iPhone App, StreamS HiFi Radio, that has over
5,000 HE-AAC streams so far, with still many more to add, but there are only
so many hours in a day. :)

HE-AAC is the defacto standard for mobile devices. It is now supported
natively in Microsoft Windows 7/8, Apple MacOS, and certainly Adobe Flash.
Here is our Orban Eval player, powered by an Icecast2  server:
http://www.orban.com/flash/orbaneval/FLVplayer.html

HE-AAC is also supported on set-top boxes and the Logitech Squeezebox family
of appliance players.

Also another fact that is not known by many, is the streaming MP3 requires a
Royalty License.
http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/
Technicolor, the current MP3 patent holders, are actively pursuing users
that are in breach.
AAC/HE-AAC does not have this requirement. All royalties are paid with the
purchase of a properly licensed AAC/HE-AAC encoder.
This by the way, DOES NOT include any third-party apps that use the Winamp
.dll. That is an explicit DMCA violation, as can be verified by the Winamp
EULA.
Simply put, the license fee paid for an AAC/HE-AAC encoder is far less than
the grief that MP3 streaming royalties can be.

HE-AAC is also less expensive to stream, more reliable for mobile, and less
costly for the consumer in terms of data usage.
It is now standards-based and widely accepted.

Windows Media Player 12 for Windows 7 will play Icecast2 HE-AAC streams, but
there is a bug in the Windows 7 version that I am trying to get fixed
through Microsoft.
It is necessary to click on the scrubber after you connect to the stream to
actually hear audio. Go figure.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

-greg.
VP Product Development
Orban