[Icecast] Transcode from AAC to MP3 (or vice versa)

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon May 23 10:43:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Chip wrote:

> To: icecast at xiph.org
> From: Chip <chiapas at aktivix.org>
> Subject: [Icecast] Transcode from AAC to MP3 (or vice versa)
>
> Hi
>
> To continue the interesting streamTranscode thread but in a slightly
> different direction, I have a user station that would like to send us
> a 64kbps AAC stream and have us transcode that to 64kbps MP3 and
> 32kbps AAC - is this possible?
>
> Points to consider:
>
> a) we would be happy to go with another permutation such as: she sends
> us 64kbps MP3 and we convert that to 64kbps AAC and 32kbps ACC.
>
> b) this AAC patch is undoubtedly going to be useful:
>
> http://www.brain4free.org/wiki/doku.php/blog:streamtranscoderv3_linux_aac_patch
>
> However I am trying to install on a Fedora server and the repositories
> mentioned in the above how-to are for Debian. I'm having difficulty
> tracking down all the relevant Fedora repos for some of these
> components:
>
> libogg0 libogg-dev libvorbis0a libvorbis-dev liblame0
> liblame-dev libfaac0 libfaac-dev libfaad0 libfaad-dev libmad0
> libmad0-dev libflac8 libflac-dev automake libtool
>
> Ideally I think I'd like to be pointed towards a Fedora repo
> equivalent to the Debian multimedia one in the example above.
>
> A solution might be for me to create a fresh Debian [virtual] machine
> and go with that - but I'd much prefer to stick with a Fedora/Centos
> based platform.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hi  Chip.

Take a look at sox, and see if that will be of any use to
you?

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

Welcome to the home of SoX, the Swiss Army knife of sound
processing programs.

SoX is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc.)
command line utility that can convert various formats of
computer audio files in to other formats. It can also apply
various effects to these sound files, and, as an added
bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on most
platforms.

The screen-shot to the right shows an example of SoX first
being used to process some audio, then being used to play
some audio files.

For the list of all file formats, device drivers, and
effects supported in the latest release, click here. To see
the complete set of SoX documentation, click here.

NB. I had to compile the package myself on Centos 5.6, as
the default installation package did not have mp3 support
included.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites: