[Icecast] Extra stream

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri May 20 07:48:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011, Jack Raats wrote:

> At this moment I'm running a stream on 128kbps.
> I want to add the same stream on 24 kbps.
> Can this be done on the server using icecast?
> Or do I have to use another programm.

Icecast can handle the extra stream, but it can't generate it.

I recommend StreamTranscoder for doing this.  StreamTranscoderV3 was on
OddSock.org which no longer hosts compiled binaries.  You can still get
the sources from the Subversion repository at
http://svn.oddsock.org/public/trunk/streamTranscoderv3/ which, depending
on how you are with compiling things, may or may not suit you.

There's absolutely no documentation for this program, but I wrote up steps
on how to configure it back in February 2006.
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2006-February/010295.html

I've been using it successfully in a number of settings ever since.  I've
not tried AAC with it, and some search results suggest that you might need
to apply a patch to the configure script in order to get it to work, but
that patch is easy enough to find.  I plan to play with this myself
shortly so I can post back here if this is of interest to anyone.

Geoff.