[Icecast] Standard method to read current listeners without user/password

josh at thepruitts.org josh at thepruitts.org
Fri May 13 01:55:38 UTC 2011

There is a file /status.xsl that contains all the status information for
your server.

For example, mine:  http://radio.foxcub.net:8000/status.xsl

You can either parse it with your favorite x?l parsing library or scrape
it for listener info.

You can see an example of this in action at my page:
http://radio.foxcub.net

It shows number of listeners and song playing.

Josh

On 05/12/2011 05:48 PM, Ross Levis wrote:

> Is there a standard method to read the current number of listeners
> from an icecast2 server without knowing the admin user/password?
>
> We produce radio broadcasting/streaming software for Windows which can
> show the current number of listeners.  Many Icecast hosting companies
> won't provide the admin password as they have lots of other customers
> using the same server, so the software doesn't have access to the
> stats.xml.
>
> I'm guessing there isn't any other built-in method, in which case we
> would have to suggest the customer switches to a Shoutcast server
> which is disappointing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross.

"Everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein