[Icecast] Standard method to read current listeners without user/password

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Fri May 13 00:48:18 UTC 2011

Is there a standard method to read the current number of listeners from an
icecast2 server without knowing the admin user/password?

We produce radio broadcasting/streaming software for Windows which can show
the current number of listeners.  Many Icecast hosting companies won't
provide the admin password as they have lots of other customers using the
same server, so the software doesn't have access to the stats.xml.

I'm guessing there isn't any other built-in method, in which case we would
have to suggest the customer switches to a Shoutcast server which is
disappointing.

Regards,

Ross.