[Icecast] Using Icecast over IPv6

Petr Pisar petr.pisar at atlas.cz
Mon Jun 6 15:20:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 04:50:52PM +0300, Geoff Shang wrote:

> I realise this might be a Debian-specific question.
>
> I've got access to two hosts which have IPv6 connectivity, both of which
> are running Icecast 2.3.2.  One is still running Debian Lenny and can be
> reached via IPv6 just fine, but the other is running Debian Squeeze and
> cannot.  In addition, my local server which does not have IPv6 conectivity
> to the Internet but which can be reached at localhost via ::1 and which
> also runs Debian Squeeze cannot either.

I have icecast 2.3.2 on Gentoo and on Fedora and I can connect it using IPv6.

However I have privoxy on Debian/testing and it stopped to accept IPv4
connections. I suspect something has changed in Debian libc because listening
on [::] does not create multi-family socket anymore. You can get listening
socket on IPv4, or IPv6, but not both. Other servers I have in Debian creates
separate socket of IPv4 and for IPv6 to serve both protocols.

I had not enough time/interrest to investigate it more deeply, so I would be
happy if you found some reason.

-- Petr