[Icecast] Using Icecast over IPv6

Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com
Mon Jun 6 14:59:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

Huh? Then we might be onto something different.
It's been ages since we sat down and fixed icecast to bind to ipv6 properly.
So my recollection is a bit fuzzy and distribution/kernel changes might
have changed our behaviour in an undesirable way.

What certainly works is adding this:
<bind-address>::</bind-address>
to your <listen-socket>. It will make icecast listen to ipv4 AND ipv6 IF
bindv6only is set to '0'.

>> If you opt for the latter don't forget to reload sysctl settings or
>> change that option using the 'sysctl' command. No reboot necessary!
>

>If I opt for the latter, will it break when I upgrade to the next Debian
>release?
>
>> This is because the latter setting changed in debian squeeze a while
>> ago. It now defaults to a setting that prevents listening for ipv6 and
>> ipv4 on the same bind. (This also used to break java)
>
>Is there a good reason to disable this?

I'd recommend to read (at least part) of the related debian issue:

But if it's already '0' then this is likely not the culprit.

Cheers

Thomas