[Icecast] Using Icecast over IPv6

Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com Thomas.Rucker at tieto.com
Mon Jun 6 14:00:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

Bit yes, bit no. See below.

>I've got access to two hosts which have IPv6 connectivity, both of which
>are running Icecast 2.3.2.  One is still running Debian Lenny and can be
>reached via IPv6 just fine, but the other is running Debian Squeeze and
>cannot.

To your problem there are two approaches:
- bind explicitly to :: and to 0.0.0.0 (so an ipv4 and a separate ipv6 bind)
- change your sysctl.conf to contain: "net.ipv6.bindv6only = 0"

If you opt for the latter don't forget to reload sysctl settings or change that option using the 'sysctl' command. No reboot necessary!

This is because the latter setting changed in debian squeeze a while ago. It now defaults to a setting that prevents listening for ipv6 and ipv4 on the same bind. (This also used to break java)

Cheers

Thomas