[Icecast] Using Icecast over IPv6

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Jun 6 13:50:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

I realise this might be a Debian-specific question.

I've got access to two hosts which have IPv6 connectivity, both of which
are running Icecast 2.3.2.  One is still running Debian Lenny and can be
reached via IPv6 just fine, but the other is running Debian Squeeze and
cannot.  In addition, my local server which does not have IPv6 conectivity
to the Internet but which can be reached at localhost via ::1 and which
also runs Debian Squeeze cannot either.

To test, I used:
telnet <IPv6address> 8000

The Squeeze boxes returned a "Connection Refused" error but the Lenny
machine answered the call.

As far as I can see, there's no difference in the way these servers are
configured.  I configured all three based on the shipped config file.
There's nothing in the Debian-specific changelog which indicates a change
in this regard.  And the Icecast2 documentation says that IPv6 should just
work if no bind atributes are specified.

Any thoughts?

Geoff.