[Icecast] Icecast authentication cant resolve address on Debian

Martin Harrison martin at thelightingshed.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 18:14:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am trying to use the url authentication method but am having trouble
getting icecast to work on a Debian installation on a VPS platform.

I have logged in my VPS as root and installed icecast using

apt-get install icecast2
setup the config file and then set ENABLE=true in /etc/init.d/icecast2

This initialy didn't work as it couldn't access log files and then had
trouble with the graphics on the admin pages.
I fixed this by copying the graphics from /usr/share/icecast2/web into
/etc/icecast/web and by changing the log/web/admin paths
from /var/log/icecast to /log and /usr/share/icecast2/web to /web.
I also had to change the base dir fromto /usr/share/icecast2 to
/etc/icecast as none of the linked xmls files could be read.

At this point icecast will run, display the admin pages correctly, allow a
source to conenct and users can listen.

However when I enable the authentication it fails to resolve the address
for the authentication script. The log files contain just two warnings
that I don't understand the implications of/can't resolve.

[2011-06-03  16:47:46] WARN stats/stats_event_conv No charset found for
"ISO8859-1"
[2011-06-03  16:55:11] WARN auth_url/url_add_listener auth to server
http://www.***.co.uk/online/auth.php failed with Couldn't resolve host
'www.***.co.uk'

running curl from the icecast2 account created during the installation
works just fine returning

* About to connect() to www.***.co.uk port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 178.250.***.***... connected
* Connected to www.***.co.uk (178.250.***.***) port 80 (#0)
> GET /online/auth.php HTTP/1.1
OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.3.3 libidn/1.8 libssh2/0.18
> Host: www.***.co.uk
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:22:35 GMT
< Server: Apache
< icecast-auth-user: 0
< icecast-auth-message: Invalid Stream Requested
<
* Closing connection #0

I am assuing that this is something to do with access rights but am no
unix expert (I developed my authentication system with icecast on a
windows box trouble free).

The relevant sections of the config file are below. any help is really
appreciated.

     <mount>
        <mount-name>/****.mp3</mount-name>
        <password>******</password>
        <intro>/intro.mp3</intro>
        <charset>ISO8859-1</charset>
        <public>0</public>
        <max-listeners>500</max-listeners>
        <stream-name>My Station</stream-name>
        <stream-description>Noise on my station</stream-description>
        <stream-url>http://www.***.co.uk</stream-url>
        <genre>Speech</genre>
        <bitrate>64</bitrate>
        <hidden>0</hidden>
        <burst-size>65536</burst-size>
        <authentication type="url">
            <option name="listener_add"
value="http://www.***.co.uk/online/auth.php"/>
            <option name="listener_remove"
value="http://www.***.co.uk/online/auth.php"/>
            <option name="auth_header" value="icecast-auth-user: 1"/>
            <option name="timelimit_header" value="icecast-auth-timelimit:"/>
        </authentication>
    </mount>
    <fileserve>1</fileserve>

    <paths>
        <basedir>/etc/icecast2</basedir>

        <logdir>/log</logdir>
        <webroot>/web</webroot>
        <adminroot>/admin</adminroot>
        <alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
    </paths>

    <logging>
        <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
        <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
      	<loglevel>3</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
      	<logsize>10000</logsize> <!-- Max size of a logfile -->
    </logging>

    <security>
        <chroot>1</chroot>
        <changeowner>