[Icecast] Any roadmap on WebM Support ?

Romain Beauxis toots at rastageeks.org
Mon Jan 31 02:03:40 UTC 2011

Le dimanche 30 janvier 2011 03:54:10, michel memeteau a écrit :
> Is there some evolution on Webm support, does it need a lot of changes
> in Libshout for example ? or does the code structure of icecast makes
> it easy to add new containers/codecs ?

Well the interesting question is: "Is webm streamable?". I don't know much
about it nut webm is wrapped into a matroska-based container which I am not
sure is streamable, maybe someone more knowledgable could comment on that..

Alternatively, there seems to be a ogg mapping for vp8 floating around:
  http://people.collabora.co.uk/~slomo/webm/ogg-vp8.pdf
If WebM turns out to not be streamable, then this mapping could be used and
would work in icecast. Howver you would need to implement its parsing in the
clients..

Romain