[Icecast] Icecast startup script for Centos 5.5

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Feb 13 22:14:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011, Huw - Junglised wrote:

> To: Icecast at xiph.org
> From: Huw - Junglised <contact at junglised.co.uk>
> Subject: [Icecast] Icecast startup script for Centos 5.5
>

> Hi all. me again!
>
> I've decided after some good advice from Sascha
> to go with a CentOS build. I've got icecast installed and running,
> however I'm having difficulty in finding a script that will start the
> icecast server on boot. Does anybody have one built, or know where I can
> find one?

Hi Huw. I'm running Centos 5.5

You can get icecast for Centos 5.5 from the EPEL repo at:

rpm -ivh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/i386/icecast-2.3.2-4.el5.i386.rpm

Icecast on Centos 5.5 includes the startup script:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/icecast

Icecast will try to start when you reboot the machine.

However it will not actually start untill you have adapted
the configuration file for your system, /etc/icecast.xml

I have icecast installed, but have not got it working yet.

# yum info icecast
Installed Packages
Name       : icecast
Arch       : i386
Version    : 2.3.2
Release    : 4.el5
Size       : 999 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : ShoutCast compatible streaming media server
URL        : http://www.icecast.org/
License    : GPLv2
currently supports
            : Ogg Vorbis and MP3 audio streams. It can be
used to create an
            : Internet radio station or a privately running
jukebox and many
            : things in between.  It is very versatile in
that new formats
            : can be added relatively easily and supports
open standards for
            : commuincation and interaction.

[root at karsites init.d]# chkconfig --list icecast
icecast    0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

For an mp3 ices client, you can install this for Centos
5.5 RPM package, from http://www.centova.com/pages/icescc

Installed Packages
Name       : ices-cc
Arch       : i386
Version    : 0.4.1
Release    : 1
Size       : 41 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : A command line source client for Icecast media
streaming
            : servers.
URL        : http://www.centova.com
License    : GPL
streaming audio
            : servers with MP3 audio streams.  It is based on
ices 0.4-CVS.

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith