[Icecast] Icecast2 Station with multiple scheduled DJs?

John List johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Sat Sep 25 17:54:34 UTC 2010

At WXBH-LP we had a similar need, and we solved it using mpd (music
player daemon) to coordinate our feed to icecast.

mpd is a music player (supporting playlists, etc.) originally designed
for local network streaming, but it has several attributes that make it
suitable for other things:

    * Items in its playlists can be local audio files or remote streams
      (e.g. DJ streams).
    * It can output a stream directly to icecast.
    * As a daemon it can be controlled by various clients including ones
      accessible from the command line, the web, and telnet/ssh. This
      has allowed us to build a scheduling system around it to cause it
      to play particular playlists at their scheduled times.

Each remote DJ must generate his/her own stream to be picked up by mpd.
We make this easy by defining multiple "remote" streams for their use on
our icecast server. This has the advantage of letting them connect to
the remote stream early so they and we can verify that all is well. At
the scheduled time, that remote stream is then "played" from a playlist
on mpd.

We are a low-power FM station in the Louisville, Kentucky, area, and we
are run collectively, so having a distributed architecture (allowing
remote DJs) is important to us. Our mpd server, icecast server, and
transmitter are currently in three separate locations. A computer at the
the transmitter site subscribes to the icecast stream.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will be scrapping this system in a few
weeks in favor of a proprietary system (SAM Broadcaster) because it
offers superior sound level compression (i.e. it plays stuff louder)
which has a direct effect on the strength of our broadcast signal (which
is important when you are limited to 100 watts).

Until we switch away from mpd, you can learn more at our website,
http://wxbh.org/OurStationSoftware.html and you can monitor the system's
operation from http:// studio.wxbh.org/Console.html .

If anyone is interested in what we've done, I'll be happy to tell more
and share code.

-John Hicks
(For best results in communicating with me directly, substitute my name
"johnhicks" in place of "johnlist" in my email address.)