[Icecast] Forcing an ID on all mountpoints

W2LIE w2lie at w2lie.net
Tue Nov 2 20:44:07 UTC 2010

Yes, it does sound a bit funky - but there is a reason to my madness :)

I run 10 streams right now on my Icecast host.  I have agreements setup to
allow another host to relay 4 of them.  I have found over the years that
other people embed my feeds, or relay them for their own benefit.  I
figured that forcing my ID on the stream every now and then will "enforce"
where the source of the feed is coming from.  So regardless if the feed is
embedded in someone's webpage, loaded into an iphone 3rd party app, or on
an agreement with another relay, my own "This is a _____ live radio feed"
announcement would allow me to claim back some of my feeds.

I'm not to familiar with LiquidSoap, but I don't know if it will allow me
to point an encoded feed at it, and then have LS go to the Icecast server?

Ex.
Encoded MP3 -> LiquidSoap -> Icecast Server -> Listener

What I was thinking was:
Encoded MP3 -> Iceast #1 -> Icecast #2 -> Listener

Again, the end result is this needs to be painless for those who have
remote feeds setup.  They are all using Windows and either Simplecast or
Edcast to encode the MP3 to my Icecast Server.

Additionally - I have complaints from Blackberry users who say they can't
listen to my streaming audio because Blackberries do not support MP3 in a
streaming environment:
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/18349/711-01774-123_Supported_Media_Types_on_BlackBerry_Smartphones.pdf
So, either way, I need to run something like LiquidSoap to my feeds can be
transcoded into a Blackberry Friendly RTSP format.... but that is a topic
for another time...

The intention of bringing this to the floor was to figure out the best way
for me to identify all of my feeds with out having to reinvent the wheel.
Or - maybe I have square wheels and they need reinventing :)

73