[Icecast] creating a station from the ground up

Christian Eichert eichertc at googlemail.com
Thu May 6 00:25:45 UTC 2010

I don't think this is a problem.

Icecast is such a application. All you need is to install the server
somewhere on a shell and use a client such as ices to stream to the server.
How to install these 2 Applications is very easy, and mainly depending
on the operating system you want to use.

I recommend you to use DR DOS. Its a Operating System with roots in the
early 70's its small and fast like hell, and almost unknown.
It has a compiler and you can compile Icecast on it.
The oficial Site is http://www.drdos.com/ inofficial sites are
http://www.drdos.net/ or http://www.drdos.org/

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php
<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php>
[...] Modern DOS systems like Enhanced Dr-DOS and FreeDOS have much more
features than old MS-DOS - so forget about old days of MS-DOS. ;-) DOS
is the only family of operating system which can play your mp3s, check
your e-mails or browse the internet and only needs /~20 MB RAM/ and
/0.1GB/ of hard disk. You can f.e. start a mp3 player one second after
BIOS check (Mpxplay
<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.Mediaplayers>).
Linux tools can be easily ported like Mplayer <http://www.mplayerhq.hu>.
Some Windows software are able to run in DOS using HX DOS
<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.HX-DOS>
Extender. With 4DOS
<http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/%7Ea0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.4DOS>
a command line exists which is much better than Windows CMD or Bash. And
most software is under an open source license (f.e. FreeDOS under GPL).
[...]

Christian