[Icecast] Icecast2 / edcast Initial Setup Question

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Wed Aug 18 15:30:35 UTC 2010

  On 8/16/2010 5:16 AM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Michael C. Cambria wrote:
>
>> I can't seen to get edcast standalone to let me do anything except live
>> streaming, via rear mic (or line-in or front mic).  From some research
>> (links below), live streaming can be turned off (a big red X), but I
>> can't seem to turn it off.  I've already seen import source being a
>> CD-Drive etc. vs line-in/microphone.
>
> Edcast standalone only does live streaming, and IMHO the presence of
> the live streaming checkbox in the standalone UI is a bug.  Only the
> plugin versions have the option to turn it off.  This is because they
> can also accept input from the associated player, whereas the
> standalone version obviously has no player and hence no other input
> source.
>
> As has been said here already, you should be able to change your
> soundcard input to accept outpu from other players or from the CD drive.

Hopefully this will save time for someone else...

Turns out all 5 of my machines don't have this ability in the (Dell)
Integrated Audio, or at least the Windows drivers can't make use of
it.    I have Win7 (64bit) and XPSP3 machines.  In most cases I have
"SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio".  If the HW actually has a mixer,
I should be able to find out next time I boot FreeBSD or Fedora on one
of these boxes.

In work (yet another Dell), I was able to enable "stereo mix" and
anything I play with VLC, WMP etc. can be used by Edcast Standalone for
Icecast.

Now the question is do I want a PCIe or just PCI sound card?  Win7 64bit
support a must.  This assumes I have a free slot <g>

Thanks to everyone for all your help getting started.

MikeC