[Icecast] Icecast2 / edcast Initial Setup Question

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Mon Aug 16 14:29:02 UTC 2010

On 8/16/2010 5:16 AM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010, Michael C. Cambria wrote:
>
>> I can't seen to get edcast standalone to let me do anything except live
>> streaming, via rear mic (or line-in or front mic).  From some research
>> (links below), live streaming can be turned off (a big red X), but I
>> can't seem to turn it off.  I've already seen import source being a
>> CD-Drive etc. vs line-in/microphone.
>
> Edcast standalone only does live streaming, and IMHO the presence of
> the live streaming checkbox in the standalone UI is a bug.  Only the
> plugin versions have the option to turn it off.  This is because they
> can also accept input from the associated player, whereas the
> standalone version obviously has no player and hence no other input
> source.

If that checkbox wasn't there, it would have saved me a lot of time.  I
was trying to duplicate what I found in the 'howto's' just to ensure I
was 'getting it'.  As suggested off list, I installed winamp and then
eccast+winamp plug in and can do exactly what I was looking to do.

> As has been said here already, you should be able to change your
> soundcard input to accept outpu from other players or from the CD drive.

I'll check my soundcard (built into the intel based motherboard) and see
if I can get any other options to show up in edcast.

>> Can anyone clue me into what to look at next?  Is edcast even the right
>> tool for this?
>
> Tool for what, ultimately?  If you just want to play automation from
> Winamp or Foobar, using the plugin may well be a lot simpler.  But it
> really depends what your ultimate goal is.

It turns out that edcast standalone wasn't what I was looking for to
play e.g. an mp3, or at least the simple way to do it.

Right now, my goal with icecast is to learn how to set it up and use
it... learn what I can, pickup the terminology so I know what to ask in
the future.  I'm the sw geek (will be moving to my FreeBSD systems
eventually) but have a few DJ friends who gave up the practice and each
decided to, well, give their ex a free house.  I'm going to help get
them back 'on the air' so to speak using Icecast.

Something like piping the live output of e.g. mixx (www.mixx.org) into
edcast is probably the end game... on on one machine ideally.

btw, ultimate goal is to rule the world lol.

Thanks,
MikeC