[Icecast] Icecast2 / edcast Initial Setup Question

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Sun Aug 15 21:56:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have setup Icecast2 and edcast (standalone) on an XPSP3 machine.  The
basic setup works.  I can speak into a microphone and hear my voice from
another PC on a LAN.

Now I want to "stream a file" such as an mp3 podcast I made or just a
song (mp3, acc etc.) or play a CD and don't know what to even search for
in the mail archives, forum or Google to get help.

I can't seen to get edcast standalone to let me do anything except live
streaming, via rear mic (or line-in or front mic).  From some research
(links below), live streaming can be turned off (a big red X), but I
can't seem to turn it off.  I've already seen import source being a
CD-Drive etc. vs line-in/microphone.

Can anyone clue me into what to look at next?  Is edcast even the right
tool for this?

Here are the links I've used to get as far as I am now, along with a PDF
doc I found (HOWTO_Dedicated_Icecast_Server.pdf)

http://wiki.commedia.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Mp3_streaming_-_how_to_guide

http://www.fastserv.com/kb/article/edcast_standalone_-_stream_live_audio_to_icecast_or_shoutcast/

Thanks,
MikeC