[Icecast] can icecast server be a source for another icecast?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Thu Nov 19 21:06:28 UTC 2009

Please keep discussions on the list.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 01:56:51PM +0100, Rybarczyk Tomasz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your responses! Unfortunately I can use yours solutions:
>
> Ariel:  I have to stream mp3 - my radio buddies wants that (is
> something similar to oggfwd - mp3fwd?),

I don't use mp3, so can't help there.

> Eric:  I can't change icecast B configuration. I've got only moutpoint
> there and can't set up relay servers.
> I'm a newbie in streaming area - is your post suggest that in icecast
> code there is a part which acts as an source for another server?

That's not how it works, as far as I know. The "another" server pulls
from the first. icecast doesn't "push" streams. Assuming the radio
buddies you mention are running icecast, you would need them to set up a
relay in their configuration to pull from your server. See the pictures
and explanations in the config docs:
http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.2/icecast2_config_file.html#relay

> Can I
> reuse it in that way that icecast A will send stream to B server all
> the time?

There is an option to either always have the relay stream going or only
when the relay server has listeners, but owing to above design, this
doesn't help you.

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion for your case (good reason to
reply to the list, btw), but none comes to my mind.

-Eric Rz.