[Icecast] can icecast server be a source for another icecast?

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Thu Nov 19 06:16:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 03:16:11AM +0100, Rybarczyk Tomasz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've strange situation: I need to connect to icecast server (A) as a
> source from another icecast server (B) and preserve metadata (artist
> and title). Of course I can do something like:
>
> curl -s http://A_address/radio.mp3 | ices -v -c B_configuration.xml
>
> but in this way all metadata are lost. Is it possible to do this
> without hacking the code?

icecast supports relays. See the docs:
http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.2/icecast2_relay.html

basically, you just tell your icecast on B to pull from mount point(s)
on A.

It's not at all a strange situation and is often done to spread
bandwidth usage around. For instance having a master icecast server that
_only_ allows connections from the relay servers. The people listening
to or viewing your streams get it from the relays in this case.

Of course, mp3 is not encouraged by xiph (nor myself).

-Eric Rz.