[Icecast] Fwd: Re: Can't support more than one listener

Eric Kolotyluk eric at sfu.ca
Sun Nov 8 19:35:06 UTC 2009

On 11/8/2009 7:37 AM, Karl Heyes wrote:

>  On 08/11/09 01:24, Eric Kolotyluk wrote:
>
>>  I'm running Icecast 3.2.1 on Windows 7 on my new computer and I've tried
>>  streaming with oddcast as well as shoutcast, but for some reason only
>>  one listener at a time can hear the stream.
>>
>>  I'm running Icecast 2.3.1 on Windows XP on my old computer streaming
>>  with oddcast, and it supports multiple listeners just fine.
>>
>>  Can anyone think of what is wrong with Icecast on my new computer?
>>
>  What makes you think icecast is at fault in this case? are listeners
>  being rejected. Maybe you should look at both log files to see if
>  listeners are trying to connect, and if so why the second connection is
>  being dropped.
>
>  karl.

I don't know that Icecast is at fault, but I thought I would start with
this maillist to see if anyone here can help. I've attached my Icecast
files to this e-mail.

As far as I can tell, the access.log file shows no indication of
listener activity, at least I can see no correspondence of log lines
that match when the listeners appear in the error.log file. Is there a
way to increase the logging level in this file? Should I be able to see
listeners attaching in this file?

In the error.log file I can see no indication of a two listeners
attempting to connect. I can see where listener-a connects, but there is
no indication of the listener-b attempting to connect. I can see
listener-a disconnect, and then I can see listener-b connect, but there
is no indication of listener-a trying to reconnect. It is possible that
after listener-a connects, Icecast is not event getting a connect
message from listener-b because something else is blocking it out
(Windows or the router)? Maybe I need to install a packet listener on my
system an watch the ethernet traffic?

Possible problems are

1. My router. But I think not because the same router supports multiple
listeners with my old computer, and both computers are connected to the
same router.

2. My new computer is Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate RTM (with two ethernet
connections). My old computer is Windows XP (with one ethernet
connection). It would help if someone else could tell me if they have
Icecast working correctly (or not) on Windows 7.

3. Icecast. I am running Icecast 2.3.1 on both computers (ignore what
I said earlier about 3.2.1), and using the same icecast.xml file
(except the ports are different). This is likely not the problem.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Eric