[Icecast] targeted ads

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Wed May 13 19:50:43 UTC 2009

Karl Heyes wrote:
> Michał Jaszczyk wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I work at an internet radio station. My management thought it might be
>> a good idea to enhance our radio with targeted ads. Do you know of any
>> streaming server that is capable of inserting targeted ads into the
>> stream? So far I have only found Ando Media's Targeted Ad Injector
>> (http://andomedia.com/) which claims to be open source but I can't
>> find the source anywhere.
>>

> I have some work implemented for this as an extension to my 10pre code.
> The interfaces are not documented yet as I wanted to try different use
> cases.  If you are interested then you are welcome to try it out and
> send feedback
>
> http://www.icecast.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/icecast-2.3.2-kh-ads.tar.gz
>
> with this, each listener is allocated a group id (default 0) which the
> server will use to lookup a file to play. The number of groups is
> determined by the <mount> setting <jingle-groups>.  At the moment the
> group is only set in auth url by the Jingle-group; header, although I do
> have a hardcoded switch to allocate the next id to the next new listener
> for testing.
>
> You essentially set the group to file mapping via admin eg
>
> /admin/jingle?mount=/stream&id=0&file=/insert1
> /admin/jingle?mount=/stream&id=1&file=/insert2
>
> files are in webroot.  You then just trigger when the inserts are to be
> run. This is where things differ slightly.
>
> With vorbis streams, the trigger is a simple vorbis file from the source
> client that lasts however long you want (can be silence as the content
> won't be sent to listeners) but has a Jingle: in the headers.
>
> With non-ogg streams things get more awkward as you don't have the same
> sort of information in stream and metadata inserts are not good enough.
> The mechanism currently uses the /admin/jingle interface again but you
> have an option of
>
> /admin/jingle?mount=/stream&play=10000
>
> informs the server that this stream will be in jingle mode for 10
> seconds. Any jingle files lasting longer than that will complete then
> return listeners to the stream.
>
> /admin/jingle?mount=/stream&play=on
> /admin/jingle?mount=/stream&play=off
>
> same sort of thing but a toggle
>
> I suspect the latter will be better so that people can interface with
> their source clients better. eg
>
> get next file
>     if file is insert marker then
>       .....&play=on
>     if insert marker finished then
>       .....&play=off
>

> karl.

I have to toss in this. There is a project out there called liquidsoap
which is a streaming client (plugs into Icecast, but doesn't replace it
AFIK) that can do all sorts of fun jingles, and seamless switches
between live and standard streams. savonet.sourceforge.net is the page
site, and they have some pretty good basic examples and great stuff to
get it working (I use it personally rather simply, to branch my
ogg/vorbis stream to mp3)

~Seann//