[Icecast] Newbie question: Poor transmission quality

Mark Glassberg vzeeaxwl at myfairpoint.net
Fri May 8 13:44:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:35:44PM +0000, Thomas B. Ruecker wrote:
> Sounds like network problems.
>
> OK. It IS network problems.
> - Let me guess, some of the files are 320kbit/s and you don't reencode?
> - do the math - not enough bandwidth -> fail
> - Or if you reencode to a certain bitrate it probably is 128k or higher
> - The intartubez are not quality guaranteed. The path from A to B might
> not get all the bandwidth it needs. Or simply your upstream bandwidth is
> chocked due to overselling by your ISP.
> - You might be running other things that need upstream bandwidth. -
> Torrenting/seeding the latest Ubuntu install cd?
>
> Or a combination of all of the aforementioned.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Please bear with my newbie questions.  There are
no other programs requiring upstream bandwidth.  What is intartubez?  I don't
know about reencoding.  The files were made with iTunes on a Mac running OS 9.2.
It made mp3s from audio files.  How do I find the bitrate of those files?

Thanks in advance,
Mark