[Icecast] Newbie question: Poor transmission quality

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri May 8 12:35:44 UTC 2009

Mark Glassberg schrieb:
> I am using Icecast2 with Ezstream, sending a playlist of mp3s.  The signal
> quality is fine over my home network; but out on the internet it is poor,
> with frequent interruptions and losses of connection.

Sounds like network problems.

> I would like to know which of the following two conditions, if any, can be
> causing the problem.  First, I have a dsl internet service, with only 160k
> upload capacity.  Second, my home network is connected to the dsl modem through
> a router.

OK. It IS network problems.
- Let me guess, some of the files are 320kbit/s and you don't reencode?
- do the math - not enough bandwidth -> fail
- Or if you reencode to a certain bitrate it probably is 128k or higher
- The intartubez are not quality guaranteed. The path from A to B might
not get all the bandwidth it needs. Or simply your upstream bandwidth is
chocked due to overselling by your ISP.
- You might be running other things that need upstream bandwidth. -
Torrenting/seeding the latest Ubuntu install cd?

Or a combination of all of the aforementioned.

hth

Thomas