[Icecast] Newbie needs help

Geoff Shang Geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Mar 3 18:30:42 UTC 2009

Mike Allen wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD v7.03 and using icecast2 which is happily relaying
> a shoutcast MP3 stream. I want to play (mix)a pre-recorded "Stream ID"
> file to the existing stream once per hour.

there's no way you can *mix* the spot with other content using Icecast.  As
has been pointed out, you'd have to do this at the source of your other
content.

If you'd like the spot to override the existing content, then have the
other content resume once the spot has finished, this can be achieved with
fallbacks.

the following mountpoints are examples, you can call them whatever you
want.

Assuming your Shoutcast relay is on /relay, you could have another mount
called /main for example and have your Ices send the spot there at the
appropriate time.

Then configure Icecast so that /main falls back to /relay and so that
fallback-override is enabled.

Then, providing your listeners tune into /main and not to /relay directly,
the listener will connect to /main which will be disconnected most of the
time, and then fall through to /relay.  When your spot plays, your streamer
will connect to /main which will pull all listeners back to /main to hear
the spot.  When the spot finishes, your listeners will once again fall
through to /relay.

> I've tried ices0 but no luck.  Any help will be much appreciated.

Note that as far as I know, Ices0 can't be told to stream a file once and
then exit.  Ezstream can though and is probably more light-weight for sucha
simple thing.

And as has been pointed out, you need to make sure all your stream
parameters are the same for this to work with MP3 streaming (and presumably
AAC as well - I've not used it).  Ogg Vorbis will cope much more
gracefully.

I use a three tear setup along these lines where I work, one playing a
backup loop of programming, one which relays a live stream if it is
available and one which plays prerecorded programs and repeats.  The
prerecords play on the primary mount, which falls back to the live relay
and this to the backup loop.  Works well.

Geoff.