[Icecast] limit source bitrate

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Jan 29 04:11:44 UTC 2009

Pierpaolo gullˆa wrote:
> Hi Karl ,
>
> I' using your latest branch , I downloaded it here
> http://www.icecast.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/.
>
> I try your instruction ,  adding the <limit-rate> tag before  the
> closure of </mount> tag.
>
> Now I'm trying using the value 300000 ( are byte?) 300K (using the big K
> not k and seems to runs very good) and soon I will use the value 0.3M or
> 1M or 1.3 M

It's bitrate, which is the typical measure, so bits not bytes. It also
takes whole numbers. I suppose it could be made to take decimal points
but that was not my focus initially. It should be case insensitive though.

> If I use a bitrate upper the 300000 kilobyt I cannot connect to the
> server , but you say to me " it does drop the connection if the rate
> stays high for a certain amount of time.  "

300K would be 300 kilobits/s, I don't know what you are feeding but that
would be a high limit for audio (assuming the limit-rate setting).

> To me the connections doesn't start if I go up ther limit. Now I try
> with a media that starts with a value under the limit and go upper later
> during the streaming , so I see how Icecast responds.

a limit-rate won't prevent a source client connecting, as there is no
stream at that stage, but a stream could drop before a listener connects.

karl.