[Icecast] limit source bitrate

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Jan 28 16:57:31 UTC 2009

Pierpaolo gullˆa wrote:
> Hi guys ,
>
> I'm trying to limit the bitrate of a source client.
>
> I'm using the icecast 2.3.1 and the 2.3.2 , but in the documentation ,
> in particular in the limit section I don't see nothing.
>
> So I'm asking to you :
>
> There is a way to limit to a max bitrate , the bitrate that a client can
> use for a particular mountpoint ?

I have this in my branch work (check my forum profile for the address)
but I haven't had much feedback on this so it's either working well or
not being used.

Just add in <mount> either

<limit-rate> to limit the incoming stream, it does drop the connection
if the rate stays high for a certain amount of time.

<max-bandwidth> to limit the number of new listeners connecting.

both take the value format as either 40000, 40K or 40M. You'll want to
allow a little bit extra over the expected bitrate and also watch for
variable bitrate streams.

karl.