[Icecast] on-demand stream relay

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Apr 24 20:43:35 UTC 2009

A. Craig West wrote:
> I have been searching through various archives, looking for the best
> way to set up a stream so that the stream is only sent to the server
> when there are listeners. It appears that to do this, I would need to
> have a local icecast server on the machine where the stream
> originates, and use the on-demand relaying to do the connection. This
> seems like it will work, but has a few problems in implementation. The
> biggest problem appears to be that the remote icecast server would
> need to be able to connect to the local one, which could be rather
> difficult to arrange if the local machine is on a firewalled dhcp
> connection. Is there any way currently to deal with this situation? I
> may be misunderstanding how a relayed stream works here...

yes it is a pull relay, so there would need to be a way for the remote
icecast to connect to the local icecast. You can use a dynamic dns
mechanism if the IP can change.

The only way you could get something to push content onto the remote
icecast is if you hooked into the auth url listener add handler and
issued a remote request to start the push but you would have the same
concerns as you have with an on-demand relay, addressing the local server.

karl.