[Icecast] on-demand stream relay

A. Craig West acraigwest at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:27:53 UTC 2009

I have been searching through various archives, looking for the best
way to set up a stream so that the stream is only sent to the server
when there are listeners. It appears that to do this, I would need to
have a local icecast server on the machine where the stream
originates, and use the on-demand relaying to do the connection. This
seems like it will work, but has a few problems in implementation. The
biggest problem appears to be that the remote icecast server would
need to be able to connect to the local one, which could be rather
difficult to arrange if the local machine is on a firewalled dhcp
connection. Is there any way currently to deal with this situation? I
may be misunderstanding how a relayed stream works here...
-Craig