[Icecast] What's best practice for serving multiple formats from a remote icecast server?

John Hicks johnlist at gulfbridge.net
Tue Oct 30 05:50:45 UTC 2007

We are running an icecast2 server in conjunction with our LPFM radio
station and need a little advice.

We have been serving a single 128k ogg stream from a remote server and
would like to make additional formats available (e.g. mp3, lower
bandwidth, etc.)

I would think this has been done a few thousand times and there would be
a "best practice" but I can't find it.

Our basic configuration is this: Darkice streams from our studio to
icecast which is running on a server farm. Our transmitter (miles away
from our studio) subscribes to this stream for its audio source. And the
stream is available to the public for streaming also.

We would like to add an mp3 stream (reluctantly) and a low-bandwidth
stream (probably mp3 also) for dial-up listeners.

Since our icecast server is on a server farm, I figure the encoding of
the additional streams should be done there.

So the simplest solution (I figger) would be to run a source client on
the server that can subscribe to the ogg stream, decode and reencode it
into the desired additional formats, and then feed them back to
additional mount points on icecast.

Does that pass the sanity test?

What's the best way to do this?

More specifically, is there a source client that can
a) subscribe to a stream as a source
b) output multiple formats and multiple streams to icecast

Darkice. The only source client I have used is darkice. It looks like it
does not decode but it can encode multiple streams. Can I use jack to
subscribe to the base ogg stream and then feed it to darkice?

Ezstream. It looks like ezstream does both decoding and encoding. Can it
be configued to use a stream (e.g. http://127.0.0.1:8000/stream.ogg) as
input?

If not, I see that it allows stdin input. Could I simply pipe a stream
(using something like wget http://127.0.0.1:8000/stream.ogg) into ezstream?

But it looks like ezstream cannot output multiple streams. Is it good
practice to run multiple instances?

Savonet/Liquidsoap. According to its web site
(http://savonet.sourceforge.net/wiki/Liquidsoap), it can fill the bill,
accepting network streams and outputting multiple formats.

MuSE. Likwise, MuSE claims to accept network streams and output multiple
streams. http://muse.dyne.org/?info=description

Which way should I go?

Thanks!

John