[Icecast] 24/7/365 ogg-vorbis client

Dick Trump dtrump1 at triadav.com
Thu Oct 25 02:07:47 UTC 2007

Jeff wrote:
> I need a client for the remote location. Requirements are it must run on
> linux, come up at boot, operate as a daemon (no shell account required), and
> if the stream goes down it must try to regain it until it does no matter why
> or how long the stream was down.

Jeff

I'm doing exactly what you want, but with MP3.  My system is feeding 5 FM stations with SCA repeaters for a reading service for the blind.  It runs 24/7.  A disconnect is usually detected within a second or two and automatically reconnects.  It will survive outages of any length and I've had one client machine go untouched by humans for more than two years now.

Keep in mind that there will be discontinuities in program material with even the slightest dis/reconnect event.  Latency in the path varies constantly, so you might have a repeated section or lost section of audio across a reconnection sequence.

But I have it regularly go days without any such events.

My streaming client is MPG123 and the solution is specific to that.  I'm quite sure there is no Ogg-Vorbis support as MPG123 is obsolete and no longer supported.

However, the technique might be able to be adapted to some other command-line player.

Contact me off-list if you want to know more.

Regards
--
Dick Trump
dtrump1 at triadav.com