[Icecast] Conceptual problem?

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Jun 16 19:13:48 UTC 2007

Tod Thomas wrote:
> Geoff Shang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd think it'd be easy enough to get Ezstream to do what you want,
>> possibly using sox to do the appropriate decoding.  Then you could
>> encode as ogg or mp3 as required.
>

> I might end up going in that direction.
>

>> Not sure what you mean by "output to the mount defined in
>> icecast.xml". Mounts in Icecast don't refer to a physical file
>> system, they only have any meaning within Icecast and are created
>> when a client connects to a particular mount.
>
> I guess I was looking at the mount point as a shared pipe that I could
> stream to and a client could acquire the stream from with icecast
> managing everything.
>
> So from the Icecast perspective the mount point is a place the
> listening client connects to only?
the source client connects to icecast sending data that is then
distributed to all connected listeners.
see http://liveice.sourceforge.net/understanding.html

>> Outputting to Icecast is a little tricky, hence libshout.  The stream
>> needs to be sent at the correct data rate for the content you're
>> sending.  You also need to authenticate to Icecast by using some kind
>> of HTTP protocol. I've never written a client so am not up on this.
>> I have a vague recolection of someone writing a client-type setup
>> using shell scripts and the like and posting info to this list, but I
>> don't currently have access to my stored Email.
>
> So I can redirect to icecast like:
>
> cat ./my.wav|oggenc - |/usr/bin/icecast
nope you need a source client. Icecast listens on a TCP port. You can
connect multiple streams. hence a pipe approach would be brain dead.

please read the url above and then look at
http://www.icecast.org/3rdparty.php for a source client that suites your
needs.

Thomas