[Icecast] streaming PyCon

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Jan 24 00:27:12 UTC 2007

Hi list,

About 4 years ago I did some streaming with icecast v1 - mostly just the audio
of monthly user group meetings, with at most 20 clients.  (normaly about 3.)

I just got the OK to stream the audio from the 3 days of PyCon  (
http://us.pycon.org Feb 23-25 ).

There will be a KuroBox hooked into the sound system in each of the 3 conference
rooms http://www.kurobox.com/revolution/what.html - last year they were used to
record the audio.  They will be there again this year.  I am assuming i can use
jack or something to tap into the lame encoding? and stream that to the ice-cast
server.

I have a T1 to host a server off site, so that we are not relying on the Hotel's
bandwidth.

I have 0.0 idea how many people will want to tune in.  I hear many of the 600
attendees may want to listen to 2 sessions at the same time.  So it is worth
setting up a 'local' server just to keep the traffic off of the hotels bottleneck.

Why am I posting?  I am running out of time to actually implement this, and am
hoping someone will say "oh yeah, easy. you do X and I'll take care of the rest."

So, anyone game?

Carl K