[Icecast] Re: Question about HTTP headers and Icecast stream status

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Apr 18 15:50:15 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Rob McDonald <rob.mcdonald at nzpages.net> wrote:
> As far as live streaming goes.
>
> 404 = mount point down.
> 200 = mount point up.

Thanks!

> Its up to your application to analyze the audio data and decide if there
> is enough "sound" for you or not. What if there is meant to be a 5
> second pause?

I understand. We used SAM Broadcaster to source audio streams to
Icecast, Shoutcast, and Windows Media servers. I have had a situation
where the SAM process hung in such a way that the encoders were still
connected to the streaming servers, but no audio was being encoded on
them. It may be that I need to learn more about how the encoders work
in order to determine the presence/absence of audio data.

> I just use the 404/200 method in my scripts which monitor mount points,
> It's never failed me yet.

This is what I do right now. Thanks for the response!

Chris

> Cheers
>
> Rob
>
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 19:19 -0400, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> > Can anyone verify this for me?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On 4/13/07, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >  I'm working on a script to check the status of streams from multiple
> > > streaming sources (ie. icecast, shoutcast, wms, etc.). With Icecast I
> > > am looking at the HTTP header returned by the server when I do a GET
> > > on the mountpoint I want the status of. It appears that a HTTP/1.0 200
> > > indicates that the mountpoint is up while a HTTP/1.0 404 indicates
> > > that it is down.
> > >  Two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. Is this correct?
> > > 2. Does Icecast return a different value when the mountpoint is up,
> > > but has no audio (data)?
> > >
> > >  If the answer to #2 is 'no' then how hard would it be to hack the
> > > code to do this?
> > >
> > >  I want to be able to indicate three conditions concerning the stream
> > > status: up with audio, up w/o audio, and down (no source).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chris

Chris Nighswonger
Network & Systems Director
Foundations Bible College & Seminary
www.foundations.edu
www.fbcradio.org
cnighswonger at foundations.edu
V:910-892-8761
C:919-820-5473
NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
intended only for the use of the intended recipient, and may also be
protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
Sections 2510-2521. If the reader of this message is not the intended
If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the
sender, and delete the original message. Thank you.