[Icecast] Question about HTTP headers and Icecast stream status

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Apr 13 18:20:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,
  I'm working on a script to check the status of streams from multiple
streaming sources (ie. icecast, shoutcast, wms, etc.). With Icecast I
am looking at the HTTP header returned by the server when I do a GET
on the mountpoint I want the status of. It appears that a HTTP/1.0 200
indicates that the mountpoint is up while a HTTP/1.0 404 indicates
that it is down.
  Two questions:

1. Is this correct?
2. Does Icecast return a different value when the mountpoint is up,
but has no audio (data)?

  If the answer to #2 is 'no' then how hard would it be to hack the
code to do this?

  I want to be able to indicate three conditions concerning the stream
status: up with audio, up w/o audio, and down (no source).

Thanks,
Chris