[Icecast] [ANN] Liquidsoap 0.3.0

David Baelde david.baelde at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 05:42:13 UTC 2006

Hi list,

The Savonet team is proud to announce a new release of its
programmable audio stream generator, liquidsoap 0.3.0. Liquidsoap is a
simple ruby-like script language allowing one to build audio stream
sources from various elementary sources, source combinators and audio
outputs. It is mainly intended to be used as an icecast client for
internet radios through the use of the shout output source, but could
also be used as a weird media player. Compared to other solutions, it
is noticeable that liquidsoap is really about building audio streams,
not only about sequencing files.

Since the 0.2.0 release, we fixed more bugs and liquidsoap is getting
more and more stable: we now get uptimes of 60 days and counting. But
liquidsoap 0.3.0 also has a whole lot of new features and usability
improvements, thanks to the interaction with new users. Outputs are
now sources like others, allowing real multi-output scripts -- not
only different encodings of the same contents. We improved the telnet
interface and started a python GUI using it. We added ALSA I/O and MP3
encoding, metadata rewriting, blank detection, shout client source,
better interfacing with external programs, programmable transitions,
etc.

We also started a wiki [1] where one can now find real documentation,
with plenty of examples. This is the place to learn more about our
project if you wish. A pretty PDF generated from the wiki is also
included in the liquidsoap release.

Feedback or new ideas would be welcome, and I'd be happy to answer any
question on our mailing lists [2].
It would be great to get a link on the 3rd party apps page, too.

We hope you'll enjoy it.

David, for the Savonet team

[1] http://savonet.sourceforge.net/wiki/Liquidsoap
[2] savonet-users at lists.sourceforge.net