[Icecast] Calculate stream latency

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Mon Oct 23 23:32:30 UTC 2006

Dear list

I'm wondering what techniques are around to determine (on a client
machine) the latency of an mp3 stream? I'm hoping to retrieve this sort of
data in a Flash player – but any tips on this would be helpful. I'm not
looking for super-accurate data – a tolerance of 2 seconds would be ok –
so the simpler the technique the better. The project is to “synchronise”
audio with text delivered by a TCP connection (specifically, from a
“Flosc” server). At present I'm using the audio program Pd with a
"shoutcast~" external (uses Lame encoding) which streams to an local
Icecast server - and then relayed on to listeners by a shoutcast service.
The machine running Pd and Icecast is also running the Flosc server.

cheers,

Iain

_________
Iain Mott