[Icecast] No re-encoding?

andrew cooke (noao) acooke at noao.edu
Thu May 25 17:47:57 UTC 2006

Hmmm.  Specifying a quality in the ices config:
- changed what was displayed on the status page
- didn't seem to change the bit rate displayed in xmms
- did seem to improve the sound quality

Is it possible to get ices to stream data without re-encoding?  Does
specifying the same parameters used to generate the original file do so,
or does ices re-encode at the same setting (which may be a bad idea with a
lossy codec)?

Should I be asking these questions elsewhere?

Andrew