DAAP maybe? (Re: [Icecast] multichannel streaming)

John Buttery john at io.com
Fri May 19 22:08:00 UTC 2006

* On Fri 2006-May-19 15:22:40 -0500, sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:
> Apple & RIAA et al. of course did not like this.  I can
> vouch for earlier iTunes did indeed work that way, and did allow
> "scrubbing" across the 'net albeit with a delay as can be expected.

  Oh, the RIAA didn't like it all right, but Apple knew exactly what
they were doing.  :)  They did eventually succumb to pressure from the
RIAA, but not until after the initial installed-base push that got
iTunes installed on so many desktops.  :P  (Of course, bundling it with
the default QuickTime installer didn't hurt either...)

> Another problem with current iTunes is that IIRC only 5 local machines
> can share your playlist at the same time, so your project would still
> be limited too much that way ISTM.

  Actually, it's five unique clients _per day_, not _concurrently_ (at
least, it was back when I was using it at my old job...).

--
  John  ! Since this email isn't signed, you can't really tell it's from
 Buttery! me; I'll hopefully have my computer working normally again