[Icecast] Compression and saturation

Vincent balbinus at bonjourlesmouettes.org
Fri May 12 13:30:43 UTC 2006

Basically, when you go over the saturation level, you can never go back
without losses.

The only thing you can do is to insert a compressor *before* the sound
gets encoded. I know of a few in Winamp (but they're not compatible with
Oddcast, afaik). Under Linux, you can use on some configurations (such
as when you connect to a Jack audio server) a virtual "effects rack"
that can include a compressor and other sound processing devices.

I have chosen another way for my own radio: we use a real
compressor/limiter on the FM feedback before the sound card line input.
We use Ices, that gets a "perfect" sound thanks to the compressor!

Regards,
Vincent Tabard