[Icecast] Compression and saturation

Jean-Marc Coursimault icecast at axperia.net
Fri May 12 10:44:23 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this message belongs to the "broadcast" side of
Icecast, but..

I'm broadcasting a few radio stations but I always have level
problems. Either the sound is too low, either it saturates.

There's a very fine line between the two and the broadcasters are not
always paying attention to the output level.

Some radios are on Oddcast / XP, some on DarkIce / Linux.

Is there some way I can process the sound (compress it ?) before I
send it to Icecast ?

Or, if the pb is between Icecast and the listener, compress it before
sending the stream out ?

Thanks