[Icecast] [kg228 at lycos.com: I need some help with icecast and web]

Robert Muchnick hostmaster at xenterra.net
Tue Mar 28 02:25:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Ralph Giles wrote:

> Forwarding to the public list as requested...
>
> ----- Forwarded message from kevin Gilbert <kg228 at lycos.com> -----
>
> From: kevin Gilbert <kg228 at lycos.com>
> Subject: I need some help with icecast and web
>
> I was having trouble finding the right e-amil address to ask my question
> I hope this is the right place if not please re direct this to them.
>
> My question is I am launching a onlne radio station and the way I am
> doing it is where people that want to listen can only listen by clicking
> the link on my web page.

That is trivial to set up. You can see that on my company's site
http://www.metaflash-direct.com or a Shoutcast-enabled site I maintain for
a client (he's moving to Icecast shortly at my insistence :-)),
http://www.krightsradio.com.

> would this software allow me to stream on my
> sight only I do not want it listed on any free listen sites

With Icecast, you can turn off "Yellow Pages" publication so it's not
listed.

> for my
> station is only for members and they require a monthly fee to continue
> to listen.

Icecast provides for password protected listener access.

> Is ice cast right for me or do you know what I need to streem on my page
> securely.
>
> thank you for your time

You would need a programmed Web interface running against a database and
merchant account to set up online subscriptions and establish the password
protection. If you cannot do this yourself, you'll need to hire a
programmer to do this for you.

> ----- End forwarded message -----

Robert Muchnick
Xenterra.net