[Icecast] Stream fallbacks/spillovers/splashing

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Fri Mar 3 07:40:01 UTC 2006

Dan Regalia wrote:

> My assumption is that the Fallback-override should only pertain to the
> mountpoint in which it is contained, and not the entire server.

You have found what I consider to be a bug in Icecast, though there seems
to be no willingness to fix this.

If you have a stream which is a fallback for more than one source, any
listener which fell back to it will be pulled forward to any source for
which the stream was a fallback.

Example: You have two streams, /stream1.ogg and /stream2.ogg, and a
fallback called /fallback.ogg.  If you have listeners to both /stream1.ogg
and /stream2.ogg and both streams stop, all listeners will fall back
to/fallback.ogg.  Then, if say /stream1.ogg reconects, all listeners will
be moved to /stream1.ogg, regardless of whether they originally tuned in to
/stream1.ogg or /stream2.ogg.  More confusing, if a person who originally
tuned into /stream2.ogg, who is now on /stream1.ogg, stops their player and
starts it again, they'll drop back through to /fallback.ogg.

I filed this as a bug in April last year
(http://trac.xiph.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/642).  I even suggested how
this might be fixed.  You'll notice the ticket has been closed.  Whilst
it's possible to work around the bug, it's clunky in my opinion and Icecast
doesn't act in a way a reasonable person would expect it to in this
situation.

If you would like to work around this bug, take a look at Karl's
explanation of how to do this using local relays:
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2005-September/009947.html

Geoff.