[Icecast] converting mp3's to aac+ or ogg

Chris MacDonald chris at thoughtsoft.net
Sun Jun 25 22:09:36 UTC 2006

Yeah, ezstream is a source client just like ices0, but the manner in
which they go about processing files or playlists may differ. I don't
know too much about ices0 but in the configuration for ezstream you can
either specify a single file to stream or you can point it to an m3u
playlist and it will play though that, I'm not sure this is compatible
with how you currently queue media.

In terms of quality, I'm pretty picky which is why I wanted my source
media in a lossless format. I chose flac but there are others, think wav
+ compression; tracks I archive are usually 50-80% of their raw size, of
course this varies from track to track. In your case going from mp3 to
ogg, your ability to notice a difference will depend on the bitrate of
the source mp3 and the resultant ogg stream. Something like a 256kbps
vbr mp3 to a q3 (~110kbps vbr) ogg vorbis stream will still sound fine
(I did this before deciding to do al my archiving in flac), but if you
took a 128kbps mp3 and did the same you'd notice the change. Again, it
varies from person to person and I'd imagine you'd just have to try it
yourself to see what you'd like, it's less a science and more a preference.

The box that does my re-encoding on is an AMD 1800 with 512MB RAM and
also does icecast, apache, mysql, sendmail, pretty much the whole
shebang and I haven't had a problem. Though, mind you I'm only
re-encoding for one stream whereas you'd be doing multiple streams. The
flac decoder seems content with ~2% of the processor and the ogg encoder
seems to like ~40% and again, this is hardly a science and undoubtedly
'your mileage will vary'.

Chris